Wednesday 27 July 2011

July 27, 2011 - This Sister is Doing it for Herself

It's awesome being the Chief Curator and Benevolent Dictator of Wise Daughters, don't get me wrong.

But sometimes I get so caught up running the business, I let my own creative pursuits fall to the bottom of the to-do list. Summer affords me time to make stuff. A couple of weeks ago I felted a bunch of chocolates, actually destined for Distill Gallery, but will soon make some to sell here too.


This morning, I finally pulled out the silkscreen supplies I bought after Christine Pensa's excellent workshop here in the spring. I had made some stencils, and found a local supplier for organic cotton napkins, but had been a bit tentative - fearing screwing up, I suppose. But it was a triumph! I happily screened away until not a single blank napkin remained, then promptly ordered 100 more! I plan to sell cheerful sets of 4 this fall. Here is my first design:

Making stuff myself is not only satisfying, but a rather important income stream for Wise Daughters, given the greater profit margin. I make soap that sells here, at Wonderworks and at Red Tent Sisters. It's great to have a presence in different places, without saturating the market, of course.

The next big thing for me is my Wise Daughters Wear - the jammies/loungers about to go into production.

It feels like my baby is experiencing a growth spurt, and it's very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment